In our very first 3rd Saturday cafe we served 52 guests. This was a high number considering the pouring down rain we experienced all morning. Most of our guests’ main mode of transportation is walking or bike riding but the rain didn’t hold them back from this awesome breakfast organized by our 3rd Saturday leadership team. We were also excited to see all the new volunteers that helped in the kitchen and cafe serving our guests.
Here is the menu from this past Saturday.
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Cheese Grits
- Scrambled Eggs
- Oranges and Grapes
- Egg, Cheese, Sausage & French Bread Casserole
- Cheese Grits
- Oranges and Grapes
In our first two cafe month we served a total of 118 guests! Hope you enjoy the picture collage from our first ever 3rd Saturday Cafe!
Check out the rest of the pictures from this weeks cafe on our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/crescentcitycafe
I do not know if you have heard, but there is a grand re-opening happening here in the city. It is a pretty big deal too! What was once the center of the New Orleans entertainment culture is now back in operation. The Saenger Theatre opens back up with an opening night show by Jerry Seinfeld. There is a full slate of great performances scheduled through May 2014! Here is a list of all the upcoming shows and performances.
Concerts and Special Events
- September 27-28: Jerry Seinfeld
- September 29: “Men of Soul” starring Jeffrey Osborne, Peabo Bryson, Freddie Jackson and Howard Hewett
- October 2: “Band Together:” A free community concert with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra
- October 4: D.L. Hughley and Eddie Griffin
- October 5: Kristin Chenoweth and the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra (Saenger Opening Gala)
- October 10: Brian Regan
- October 12: “A Prairie Home Companion” starring Garrison Keillor
- October 13: Wynton Marsalis & The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, performing the Abyssinian Mass
- November 9: “1964 The Tribute” (Beatles tribute)
- November 16: Bill Maher
- November 17: Celtic Thunder
- November 26: Joe Bonamassa
- December 3: The Irish Tenors Christmas
- December 6: Bonnie Raitt
- December 26: Moscow Ballet’s “Great Russian Nutcracker”
- January 10: The Fresh Beat Band
Broadway in New Orleans Series
- October 15-27, 2013: The Book of Mormon
- November 19-24, 2013: Ghost
- December 17-22, 2013: Sister Act
- January 17-19, 2014: Rain
- February 4-9, 2014: Beauty and the Beast
- March 11-16, 2014: Memphis
- May 13-18, 2014: War Horse
We love the city of New Orleans and get pretty excited to see big things happen here. So share in the excitement by checking out www.saengernola.com for information on all these events.
During our first Crescent City Cafe in the month of September we served a total of 66 guests. We had a great menu created by our kitchen manager Laura. She always comes up with yummy creative menu ideas for our guests. Thanks Laura! Below is the menu from this week’s Cafe.
Options A: Breakfast Sandwich
- Biscuit with sausage, egg, cheese and tomato.
- Sides: Cantaloupe, pear, cheese grits.
Option B: Cinnamon Roll Casserole with Maple Sausage
- Description: A layer of cinnamon roll, a layer of sausage, a layer of cinnamon roll, icing.
- Sides: Cantaloupe, pear, cheese grits, eggs.
I know your mouth is watering after reading the menu and looking at the picture to the right. Our mouths were watering as well when we sat down with our guest to have a great meal prepared by our volunteers in the kitchen and served to our guest by our front of house volunteers.
We always have such a great time with our guests. Make sure you sign up to volunteer at our next Crescent City Cafe. It is on Saturday, September 21st. Go to http://www.crescentcitycafe.com to sign up!
With Sean, Drew and the rest of the gang, there is rarely an answer to the historic phrase,”Who Dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints,” but it’s one you can expect to hear passing through the city of New Orleans this time of year. Excitement is in the air of the Crescent City, as the New Orleans Saints are set to take the field for their first regular season game of the 2013-14 NFL season, and it is sure to be a great one as they take on the “Dirty Birds” of Atlanta. I guess a better question would be “Who Dat gonna watch dem Saints whip up on dem Dirty Birds?” The answer to that one would be everyone!
There are tons of things to be celebrated around the city. One thing that we are celebrating in the month of September is the move from 1 Cafe a month to 2 Cafes a month. The expansion is mostly due to your dedication to serve in the Cafe and to give financially as well.
Here is the Crescent City Cafe Schedule for the rest of the year and make sure you check on the New Orleans Saints Schedule in the image above!
Remember the 1st week Cafe is Saturday, Sept 7th and the Saints will kick Atlanta’s butt the day after on Sunday, Sept 8th!